Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mac un' cheesy

I love love love mac n cheese...I loved my mom's homemade dish with pasta shells before I was vegan and since switching my diet I've searched for the perfect vegan version. Even though I haven't been able to recreate my mom's mac n cheese, I have figured out a super easy and quick spicy dish with peas and tempeh. If you don't ike peas or don't have tempeh, you can always just make the cheese sauce and noodles. Avoid this dish if you don't like nutritional yeast as it uses quite a bit. I call it mac un' cheesy =]

1 cup gluten free or regular pasta
1/2 c frozen peas
1 tbsp earth balance or smart balance light vegan butter
3 tbsp non dairy milk
1/4-1/2 c nutritional yeast
1/3 8 oz pkg soy tempeh cut into bite size pieces
Vegan parmesan topping (I use chipotle Parma! but you can use the one of your choice it will just make the dish less spicy)
1 tsp tamari, soy sauce, or Bragg's liquid aminos
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta according to directions. While that's cooking, thaw the peas in the microwave. Start cooking the tempeh in a pan with the soy sauce of your choice. Once it starts browning, add in the cayenne pepper and turmeric. Once that's done, set aside. In the bowl that you will be eating out of, melt the butter (I use the microwave). Add in the non dairy milk to the bowl and warm both the butter and milk in the microwave (10 seconds should do it). Add salt to taste and the nutritional yeast. Stir well and add the nooch until you get your desired consistency. I usually add 1/2 c nooch to my butter milk mix because I like my cheese sauce thicker. Once you have your desired consistency, drain the pasta noodles and add them to the cheese sauce. Add the peas to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Now add the tempeh on top and sprinkle your parmesan. Voila! Mac un' cheesy!

This is how mine looks. It's ugly but soooo delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment