Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Kind Diet


Yesterday I picked up a copy of Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet". I wasn't expecting it to be really great or anything but I had heard it had some good recipes. The book surprised me. I've been a vegan for years as well as a health freak so there's not much she could tell me about how healthy being a vegan is. I still enjoyed reading the beginning of the book that detailed why animal products are bad for our health, the environment, and the well being of our animal friends. It's always nice to get a reminder of why I live the way that I do (as if Kitty ^above^ isn't enough of a reminder!). Alicia gives plain old vegan meal plans and recipes as well as healthier, macrobiotic superhero ones. The recipes look pretty good and I'm even going to be trying some of the superhero dishes (I love miso soup and she has a killer one).
I decided to make the Caesar dressing from her Caesar salad recipe on page 175. Since I don't have permission, I won't be publishing the recipe here. I did change a couple things in the recipe. I'm allergic to gluten so I used Bragg's Liquid Aminos instead of shoyu. I also swapped raw almonds in for the roasted almonds the recipe called for. No croutons for me due t the fact that I have yet to find a gluten free bread I can stand. The dressing was delicious! I ate it on:
Romaine hearts
Celery
Tomato
Parsley
Onion
I know that sounds like a skimpy, bland salad but I knew the dressing was going to be very strong and I wanted it to shine through on simple veggies.
As my main dish, I made brown rice and ate it topped with leftover homemade veggie chili, nutritional yeast, chipotle Parma, fresh cilantro, and avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment